Posted by: Carly Schroer
Tour and summit to discuss future of apprenticeship in Tennessee
NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development announced today it will hold an apprenticeship listening tour across the state to discuss the future of apprenticeship in Tennessee. The listening tour is in partnership with state and local agencies and is funded through the Federal Department of Labor ApprenticeshipUSA State Accelerator Grant.
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to meet with communities across the state to discuss apprenticeship opportunities in Tennessee,” TNECD Commissioner Bob Rolfe said. “Apprenticeships help Tennesseans become better prepared and in return become more successful in the future workforce. We look forward to seeing what ideas come out of the apprenticeship listening and learning tour.”
“Apprenticeships are a crucial cornerstone in building Tennessee’s future workforce,” Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development Commissioner Burns Phillips said. “The public’s perception of apprenticeships is evolving, and Tennessee can be a leader in training a new generation of skilled workers.”
The listening tour includes five stops across Tennessee concluding in an all-day summit in Nashville in May. The goal of the tour is to determine three objectives:
- the current state of apprenticeship programs in the area
- the interest and opportunity for apprenticeships in the area
- the obstacles faced or resources needed to get to each community’s goal
Dates and locations of the tour are as follows:
- Tuesday March 13 – Smyrna
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. at TCAT Smyrna
- Monday, March 19 – Jackson
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. at Jackson State Community College
- Monday, March 19 – Memphis
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. at Southwest TN Community College
- Tuesday, March 27 – Kingsport
- 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. at RCAM
- Tuesday, March 27 – Athens
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. at TCAT Athens
To learn more about the apprenticeship listening tour and to RSVP to a listening tour location, visit tn.gov/ecd/apprenticeship-tour.
About the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development
The Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development’s mission is to develop strategies that help make Tennessee the No. 1 location in the Southeast for high quality jobs. To grow and strengthen Team Tennessee, the department seeks to attract new corporate investment in Tennessee and works with Tennessee companies to facilitate expansion and economic growth. Find us on the web: tnecd.com. Follow us on Twitter: @tnecd. Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/tnecd.